For those who are interested, here are my Ten Books That Have Stayed With Me, in no particular order (and subject to change at any point!).
Make of them what you will.
1. England: An Elegy, Roger Scruton
2. A Canticle For Leibowitz, Walter M Miller
3. Lord Of The Rings, JRR Tolkien
4. Something Fresh, PG Wodehouse (impossible to pick just one PG Wodehouse, but this was the first Blandings book I read, and I dearly love Blandings)
5. From The Holy Mountain, William Dalrymple
6. Master & Commander, Patrick O'Brian (impossible to pick just one
Aubrey-Maturin book, but this is the first in that unparalleled series,
so there we go)
7. The Confessions, St Augustine
8. The Sacred Diary of Adrian Plass Aged 37 & three-quarters, Adrian Plass
9. After Virtue, Alasdair Macintyre
10. A Confession, Leo Tolstoy
contenders, who may well have made the top ten if I'd done this another day:
The Hound of the Baskervilles, Arthur Conan Doyle
From A Small Island, Bill Bryson
Feral, George Monbiot
Of Britain, Peter Hitchens
Winnie The Pooh, AA Milne.